DD Form 214 and Why You Need it For a VA Loan

by | Apr 28, 2022 | DD214 Form, Education, Financial, Home Buying, Military & Vets, The VA Home Loan, VA Loan, VA Loan Benefit, VA Loan Requirements

What is a DD214?

The DD Form 214 or “DD 214” is a veteran’s Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. This document is issued by the United States Department of Defense and is distributed upon retirement, separation, or discharge from active duty in the Armed Forces.

Why Do I Need a DD214 to Apply For a VA Loan?

If you are a qualifying veteran, service member, or surviving spouse applying for a VA loan, you will need your DD214 in order to retrieve a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). A COE verifies that you do, in fact, qualify for a VA loan. Or, if you are using your remaining VA loan entitlement, your COE will inform you and your lender how much entitlement you have already used.

Where Can I Get My DD214?

You are typically given your DD214 papers when you retire, are separated, or are discharged from active military duty. If you have lost your DD214 form, there are a couple of different ways you can retrieve it.

Get Your DD214 Online

You can get your DD214 online through milConnect. You will need to register a new account on milConnect or log in using your credentials if you have already created an account. Through milConnect, you can also request your DD215 form, Report of Separation, other release papers, orders and endorsements, performance reports, awards and decorations, qualifications, and security clearance.

Get Your DD214 By Mail

To retrieve your DD214 by mail, you have the following options:

  • Fill out a Request Pertaining to Military Records (Standard Form SF 180) and mail or fax it to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC). 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, Missouri 63188
  • Write and send a letter to the NPRC.
  • Visit the NPRC in person.
  • Contact your local state or county Veterans agency.

It’s important to note that requesting your DD214 form by mail may take longer than getting it online.

Retrieve Your Family Member’s DD214

If you are requesting the military records of one of your family members, you will need to contact the Department of Veterans Affairs’ National Cemetery Scheduling Office. They will be able to get your veteran’s DD214 and any other necessary documents and records.

Contact a VA Loan Specialist

Are you ready to get pre-approved for a VA home loan? The loan specialists at VeteransLoans.com can determine your eligibility and get you pre-approved in a matter of minutes. VeteransLoans.com is a VA-approved lender offering VA, FHA, and conventional products. Call 1 (888) 232-1428 to speak with a loan specialist or click the button below to get started

Create a better financial future

Get Started for Free

To see if a VA loan makes sense for you, get started with a custom quote with no impact to your credit score

Get Started

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This

Share This

Share this post with your friends!